Letters & Stories
PRIEST PROFILE – Ralph Holden – April/May 1996 Issue
Ralph was born in Adelaide, and educated at Mitcham Primary and Unley High Schools. He obtained a civil engineering degree in 1957 while employed by the SA Harbors Board. In 1958 he entered the Baptist Theological College and was Lay Pastor at the Baptist Church, St Marys. The following year he was accepted by Bishop Reed as an Anglican candidate. He obtained a divinity degree and a theology licentiate while at Ridley College (Melbourne). He was made deacon in 1961 and priested the following, being Assistant Curate at St Theodore’s Toorak Gardens. From 1963 to 1967 he was priest-in-charge of Cummins – Tumby Bay on Eyre Peninsula, where John Thompson was a lay reader. During this time he married Mary, and their two daughters were born there.
From 1967 to 1974 he was Rector of Minlaton (Yorke Peninsula), and during these years also undertook mission work on the railway from Port Augusta to Cook, and in the Gawler Ranges. One son was born at Minlaton. Ralph was appointed Rector of Good Shephered, Plympton and St. Alban’s, Richmond in 1974, the year Andrew was born. In 1978 he became priest-in-charge of West Adelaide Parish (Mile End and Richmond) and also a part-time industrial chaplain.
From 1982 to 1986 he was editor of “The Adelaide Church Guardian” until his resignation of West Adelaide to become State Director of the industrial chaplaincy organisation. Since his “retirement” in 1991 he has been Locum Tenens of several parishes, including Largs Bay, Port Adelaide, Elizabeth and Woodville. Among his other interests are sailing and model railways.